Top Plumbing & Drainage Tips for Restaurants
It’s very easy to see plumbing and drainage maintenance as a cost that your business could do without, but like any part of a busy restaurant, it requires investment to get it right. Any issues you have with the functioning of the plumbing system will cause breakdowns and inefficiencies in the kitchen. That will impact your ability to serve your customers and potentially create health and hygiene issues that could put your business at risk.
Regular plumbing maintenance helps to prevent issues that can be all too common in commercial kitchens, such as blocked sinks and grease traps, drain blockages and even backups caused by the incorrect disposal of fats, oils and grease (FOG).
While professional restaurant plumbing maintenance is essential, there are also a number of simple restaurant plumbing tips you can follow to keep your business in the best possible shape.
What not to pour
An essential part of maintaining your plumbing system is to make sure employees are aware of exactly what should be put in the bin and not poured down the sink.
- Fats, oils and grease (FOG) – Fats, oils and grease from cooking are one of the main causes of blockages in restaurant drains and pipes around the world. FOG waste should be put in the bin, and grease traps should be installed to reduce the amount of grease that enters your drainage system.
- Coffee grounds – The easy option might be to rinse out a coffee pot and pour it down the sink, but coffee grounds don’t break down in water. Instead, they clump together, potentially causing big problems for drains and pipes.
- Rice and pasta – Rice and pasta can easily slip down the sink, but once there, they continue to absorb moisture and expand, eventually reducing the space for water to drain.
- Stickers and labels – They might be small, but the stickers and labels you find on fruit, vegetables, bread and other products can get stuck and cause problems in pipes and drains. They also have to be processed at the water treatment plant.
What not to flush
- Cleaning wipes – Cleaning wipes and wet wipes are one of the most common drain and pipe obstructions our technicians at Anglia Drain Doctor have to remove.
- Paper towels – Paper towels are not designed to dissolve like toilet paper. Rather than flushing them, put them in the bin, or better still, use a washable cloth.
- Sanitary products – Communicate it clearly to staff and customers that tampons and other sanitary products must not be flushed down the toilet.
Other restaurant plumbing maintenance tips
As well as ensuring you’re not pouring or flushing anything you shouldn’t, there are a number of other ways to keep your restaurant’s plumbing and drainage system in good shape.
- Maintain grease traps – Grease trap installation and maintenance is essential for busy restaurants. To keep things running smoothly, our plumbers install and regularly clean grease traps to prevent a build-up, remove rancid fat, oil and grease, and reduce the risk of septic tank clogs.
- Fix slow draining sinks – If you notice a sink is draining slowly, do something about it immediately. In a commercial kitchen, you cannot afford to let a small problem become a bigger issue, so be sure to call a professional plumber at your earliest opportunity if you’re unable to address the issue yourself.
- Have drains cleaned regularly – It’s very important to have your drains regularly cleaned. That includes your bar and drink station drains, which can clog up easily due to the high sugar content soft drinks, juice and alcoholic drinks contain.
- Set up a maintenance plan – The simplest and most cost-effective way to keep your business running smoothly is to put a plumbing maintenance programme in place. Don’t wait for toilets, sinks or grease traps to stop working. Get ahead of the game with a regular and preventative plumbing maintenance plan.
The professional restaurant plumbing team
Anglia Drain Doctor has a highly-trained, professional team of commercial plumbers in East Anglia who provide regular maintenance contracts and emergency assistance for restaurants across the region. Get in touch to discuss how our restaurant plumbing services can support your business.